Should you always be Hiring?
“When is the best time to hire and recruit?” or “Should I always be hiring?”
I was asked this question recently by a dealer that was in dire need of salespeople. Based upon my 27 years in the dealership setting and with interaction with dealers all over the country I would answer this question with a resounding “YES”. This also applies to every position in the dealership including management, Fixed Ops, BDC etc.
Unfortunately, average turnover within the dealership setting is abnormally high compared to other industries. This creates the environment of hiring out of need or even worse desperation.
So I ask you.. When and how often should you be recruiting for good people? The answer is simple.. ALWAYS! Let me run down the reasons why…
- We can always use a top performer on our team so you always want to be there when THEY are ready
- We never want to hire out of need or desperation because this leads to poor hiring decisions we always regret later
- We always want to build a pipeline of choices that will complement our business culture
- By always hiring you staff your team with the best that results in a strong team
- A habit of always recruiting and hiring saves you time so you can concentrate on the business at hand.
- Reduce turnover by hiring people that complement your business culture
- Creates a culture within your store that does not tolerate “just good enough”
Dealers that adopt this discipline and philosophy are the dealers that create a positive, high-performance business culture with higher employee satisfaction and low turnover.
However it does require a plan, preparation and commitment so it is a continuous process of listings, reviewing new applicants, candidate assessments, and interviews.
Here are some ideas and process steps that will be worthwhile in your recruiting efforts
- Multiple Proven job listings that increase response rates
- Create a recruiting department and philosophy within your organization
- Review each resume for the traits you are looking for and weed out the rest
- Conduct the initial phone interviews to lead us to candidate assessments
- Conduct the candidate assessment phase on the top applicants to uncover strengths and concerns
- Conduct the second phase of the interview process which is the personal interview in person preferably or skype if necessary